Fly Pattern Recipe The Wine Killer

Discussion in 'Leeches' started by johnk, Mar 19, 2009.

johnk

johnk Member

The Wine Killer

This rabbit strip micro leech was destined to be a killer from the getgo. On a productive afternoon myself and a gentleman unknown to me were fishing a traveller sedge hatch on Gypsum Lake in the Chataway chain. As luck too often goes as we arrived the fish decided to go off the caddis so I figured no better time to give the little leech it's maiden voyage. Well what happened that afternoon was nothing short of amazing. Together we managed to hook 60-70 fish and because they were hitting the fly with reckless abandonment I would be exaggerating if I said we landed one third of those hooked.

Because of the thinned down silhouette of the strip by the end of the afternoon there was more hide showing than actual hair. I now tie the pattern in every colour imagineable and now you can buy thincut rabbit strip and pine squirrel strips which are also effective.

Step_by_Step_Wine_Killer_013.jpg

Recipe:

Hook: Diachii 1273 Size 12
    Bead: 3/32 Black or none
    Tail: 2 strands of red krystal flash
    Body:Maroon Midge Stretch tubing with holographic red rib
    Wing:Maroon rabbit strip thinned down to one third the width

[​IMG]

Recipe:

Hook:Same as above
    Bead:Same as above
    Tail:2 strands of peacock krystal flash
    Body:Green midge stretch tubing
    Rib :Red holographic flashabou
    Wing:Blackbarred olive rabbit strip thinned down to 1/3 width

Give these a try as they can save an otherwise slow day on the water.
    lykos33 and rick baerg like this.
    jollyrogers

jollyrogers Member

Re: The Wine Killer

Johnk: Those look great.....I wish I could take pics like that! are you using a flash....? and a plain white background - paper? cardboard?
    I tried some macro pics with my digital and had trouble focusing and getting lighting right?

I think some micro leeches are coming my way from an earlier fly swap...? did I get them already?
    thanks for the photos and patterns.....
    cheers....J.R.
    newsteelyman

newsteelyman New Member

Very nice lookin' pattern Johnk. Is the wing tied down at front and rear or just front? I gotta tie some of those up, they look super!
    Brian
    johnk

johnk Member

Some times my photos come out alright and sometimes they don't. I don't use the flash but instead make sure there is ample light around the fly. Once I have the fly already to photograph I use the timer feature on the camera to guarantee no shake. There are probably others on here that can give you better advice.
    johnk

johnk Member

The wing is tied down at both ends though I don't know if it matters.
    Chauchey

Chauchey Member

Do you weave the midge tubing through the hair of the rabbit further tying down the strip to the hook? Or do you just tie down both ends, having previously run the tubing for the boding underneath?
    johnk

johnk Member

It's like tying a chironomid and at the last minute changing your mind to a leech. I tie the strip down in front of and behind the stretch tubing.

Chauchey, I apologize for not getting the step-by-steps done but my contract tying has left me way behind and I may not catch up until July!
    Chauchey

Chauchey Member

No worries John. I can appreciate responsibility and priority. :) I think I get it. The pics in the other thread really helped show things alot clearer. I'm going to try to tie these up in the major colors, I'll try to post some pics to get some feedback. That'll be next week sometime though.
    johnk

johnk Member

Excellent. I tried to rotate the vise a touch for the photos to profile the body a bit more.
    wayne schiller

wayne schiller New Member

hi do you know why no pictures come up on this sit?
    johnk

johnk Member

Hi Wayne,

FYI, the disappearance of the photos has nothing to do with this site. I deleted the photos from the original spot on the Internet and in doing so all the photos were erased anywhere I had posted them.
    fisherboy1967

fisherboy1967 New Member

Just google "macro photography" The pros make it look easy by using macro lenses and ring lights
    g.atthenet

g.atthenet Well-Known Member

Its almost 4yrs old:rolleyes:....it must smell a bit:eek::rolleyes:
    Joseph Russell

Joseph Russell Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah that be an oldie