SWAP CLOSED Swap #7A..terrestrials..hoppers,crickets and beetles

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Garhan, Feb 18, 2012.

Garhan

Garhan Fly Fishing my love and Fly Tying my mistress.

AW and I discussed having a Terrestrial Fly Swap for Hoppers, Crickets, and Beetles. There were other terrestrials suggested and the thought came up to run a 2 part swap again. The second one would include Ants, Wasps and Bee's. As tiers you can take part in both if desired. The first 12 to sign up for both with the fly that they will contribute are in. (goes for both swaps)

So Hoppers, Crickets and Beetles can be 7A and Wasps, Bees and Ants can be 7B.

More information to come. Please let me know which swaps and what you will be contributing. If we get a dozen people in each , then we will need 13 of each flies you are tying.

1.-Gary..aka..Garhan..GH Beetle-recieved
    2. Don..aka..Darwin..Black Beetle-recieved
    3. Byron..Bristol Hopper Ginger variant - received
    4. Daniel..aka..ArticWolf..Wee Mini Hopper - received
    5. Flytyingfreak-Drowned Hopper
    6. Stu..aka..Sra….Pookie Hopper
    7.Bruce..aka..Rooster..Letort Hopper-recieved
    8.Kim..The Hopper Juan - received
    9. Avril -International Hopper - received

The cut is nine tiers, so we will require 10 flies from each of the participants.

Due date will be April 30, 2012. Please forward your flies to:
    If they all get here sooner then I will ship them out sooner.It looks like we have a good list of flies here. For the TBA people please submit your fly decision as soon as possible. Thank you to all for participating.

Gary Hanke
    1047-80 StreetNW
    Edmonton, Alberta
    T6K 2R4
    Canada
    Garhan

I am in with a Modified Sharks Wasp and a GH Beetle.

[​IMG]

These are done for the Swap 7A.
    rick baerg and Avril Anjers like this.
    Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member

7A for me, some sort of hopper or beetle. will decide later
    Byron Thiel

Byron Thiel Well-Known Member

7A will do a Bristol Hopper Ginger variant. 7B Red Ant. 13 per swap presume then? Sent to you Garhan? Do you get the hawthorne fly and crane fly(what the english call daddy-long-legs) in Canada?
    flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak Member

I was asked to join soooo I'm in with my drowned hopper. Its a wet fly, tyed to resemble a hopper who got sucked down in the current and is dead and easy pickins .
    Byron Thiel

Do you tie it with a bead head or not freak?. I use a bead to get it deep quicker, but it can be fished without the added weight to sink slowly like a natural
    Garhan

7A is Hopper, Cricket and Beetle .7A the Bristol Hopper Ginger Variant goes to me and the Red Ant to AW. We do get the Cranefly here, but I believe the Hawthorne fly is only found in eastern canada. What we call a Daddy Long Legs here is a spider. It looks like the critter below. Seldom seen as a trout food, but I think what you are talking about is a completely different creature and is likely the Cranefly. Which we do get here and I will see if I can find a picture of that bug.

[​IMG]

here is the Cranefly.

imgres
    Byron Thiel

Yeah I remember those wispy spiders in South Dakota and indeed the crane fly is what people in the uk call "Dady-long-legs" awkward flying insects with long gangly legs that are often blown onto water as they,re such poor fliers.
    flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak Member

No bead, just done with coyote hair and a few other materials, so it sinks slowly and usually stays in the top foot or so . I've gotten some savage takes watching it drift within the top 6 inches, my thinking is that no self respecting trout is going to let that much protein go sliding by and let some other fish grab such a tasty meal. I usually cast it into the tailout of one pool and let it tumble through the churn and ride whatever current it hits. I give it lots of slack (not to much) but just enough to let the currents do with it as they may.

PS what color hopper do you guys get up there? down here we get mostly dark tans greys and a few rusty reds.
    Garhan likes this.
    Garhan

Hey flytyingfreak, sounds like you just upped the arsenal for the French or Chez Nymphing fly selection and techniques;) .
    flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak Member

In the famous words of Rays Charles "Just gotta let it do what it do baby!"
    ArticWolf

ArticWolf Well-Known Member

say...Freak...can you put up a pic of this fly of yours...like to have a look at it if you don't mind...and as far as colour hoppers are concern..Canadian fish are NOT fussy like they way they are over the pond...I even use chartreuse and pink hoppers..with the same results..of which you will see when I post what I'm going to tie in this one...
    Byron Thiel

Go easy Dan I get results on pink and fluorescent lime(chartreuse) hoppers over here-when I think to use them. By the way freak-where did you say you live? I feel a radical change from the norm sometimes will turn the tide and add that extra tweak!
    ArticWolf

ya ya..Byron but you are the exception to those who fish over there...cause the norm doesn't do to much with changes..they prefer to stay...traditional..which is good but.."a change is as good as a rest"!..........and remember m8..I got one of your ties that has chartreuse in it..and it works..
    Byron Thiel

You know it-and it works bloody well, too!
    flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak Member

When I get the first few tyed up for this swap I'll post a pic.
    ArticWolf

sounds good Ross thanks for that...
    flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak Member

Here's a picture of the original tyed by Ray "letumgo" Tucker over at the www.flytyingforum.com where I am also a member, incidentally with the exact same name! Go figure, This pic is taken wet just so you guys get an idea of what it looks like in the water. The dry picture doesn't do the fly justice. I do a variant of this with some crystal flash and red died golden pheasant for wing material, the furled body is done with a dubbing brush, and I tye in some rubber legs to add a bit of action, anyways without further ado here is "Letumgo's Hairy plopper:

drowned hopper.jpg
    Joseph Russell and Garhan like this.
    ArticWolf

well Ross that should prove very interesting..and when you get finished tying, maybe you can do either a SBS or material list of it...
    ArticWolf

Garhan Keep your fly in the water.

fly for this swap..

4fd0f68a-1.jpg

[​IMG]

Here you go. This is the colour reversed, nothing fancy just more of a red hot spot.
    rick baerg, Darwin and Rooster like this.