Fly tying area. . set up~

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Debs, Aug 20, 2011.

Debs

Debs A fishing we will go.....

Good morning...... I like to set myself up a fly tying - craft area at my home... but I am having troubles as to how to! I was thinking I could do this or do that then that would get me into the $$$ and I really don't want to do that! I might go over board.
    I was wondering what the fellows has done so in this forum?
    I have all these ideas, I could put up a few shelves, stack boxes, have more desks in my office.
    How organized can one be to be so over organized..
    Thank you.
    :)
    ArticWolf

ArticWolf Well-Known Member

T.K

T.K Well-Known Member

Hi L/W,

Best thing to do is get as much tying stuff as possible, as many boxes as you can, a desk and most important a bottle of whiskey or Brandy........Then sit in your new chair, by your new desk open your new fly pattern book and pick out a fly to tie, and discover that even though you have spent a fortune, you still do not have enough material, the boxes are to small and the desk could have had more draws. But worst of all the booze has gone........

Or you could have a look in the thread show us your tying room and gleen some ideas from there, and you will find that you still do not have enough room or materials.....

But i have all the confidence in you to come up with something perfect, and when you do will you please post some pics of your new area, so we can see how it should have been done.
    [​IMG]
    All the best, speak soon Tony.........
    Kerry Pitt

Kerry Pitt Active Member

Not many of us know or understand the term "Over organized." I used to use totes, they are cheap and easy to store stuff in. You can also buy plastic shoe box sized boxes at Home Depot really inexpensively, you can put your materials in them with labels and store them in shelves or in your totes. If you have room for another desk then put up shelves above it and maybe free standing shelves beside it and the shoe box sized boxes stack nicely. There are many answers to your question, without seeing the space you have it is not an easy to make a suggestion.:)
    ArticWolf

t=1305032592.gif looks like you really need a hand in sorting things out..well considering I'm not in this organized group...I'll leave it up to those who know how...
    ArticWolf

now who in their right mind would make a green house in 2' of snow with temps down to -37c??????...ONLY a Canuck..[​IMG]
    Red Fly

Red Fly Guest

Good on ya Deb hockey they have not played real hockey in years there all business men now.and it looks like your well organized already lass
    Zane

Zane Member

I am in the thinking process of making a dedicated fly tying station( have been thinking for a while now) and am currently researching storage systems. So far I have found out that there is enough stuff to boggle the mind so I am going to try and keep it simple, whatever simple is. I am currently on the hunt for a storage unit with barn doors and then I will have to see what fits the space after I modify it. This is a work in progress as I have limited space and $$$, but it certainly keeps the brain cells firing. One of these days it will all come together.
    Kerry Pitt

Kerry Pitt Active Member

My finished base for the Nor Vise. I may add something in the future but for now it should work. I know there are a few tools I will not use as much or ever as well so the tool selection will be culled over time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member

Clean and simple, very nice! [​IMG]
    Zane

Zane Member

Very clean and simple Kerry, I like it. I particularly like that you don't have to reach very far for the tools.
    Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I told you that I Had to go find me some...
    Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member

I will have to work on that. [​IMG]
    ArticWolf

Silver doctor

Silver doctor Active Member

Nice job on the nor vice station.
    Kerry Pitt

Kerry Pitt Active Member

g,atthenet the thread is for stations or areas LOL my flies are all under wraps....;)
    AW I will follow the link, thanks.