Fly Pattern Recipe Doc Spratley

Discussion in 'Attractor's' started by rick baerg, Apr 2, 2009.

rick baerg

rick baerg Administrator Staff Member

Doc Spratley

[​IMG]

Hook: Mustad 9672 - TMC 5263 size 14 to 4
    Tail: Guinea fowl
    Body: Black dubbing or Black wool
    Rib: Silver french tinsel
    Throat: Guinea fowl
    Wing: Brown pheasant tail
    Head: Peacock hurl
    Kim and Rooster like this.
    11th warrior

11th warrior New Member

Re: Doc Spratley

ummm.....ya.

(begins to strip his hooks to start over again)
    T.K and RickB like this.
    Lake Junkie

Lake Junkie New Member

perhaps it's the same as guinea fowl and this is my ignorance shining through but you can substitute it with grizzly hackle to similar effect.

Best fly ever in my opinion, often the first thing I try at the start of the day though I seem to have better luck with it in the late afternoon/early evening.

As an after thought, I have noticed that a spratley with seal fur dubbing tends to be more consistently successful than other body materials like phentax and yarns. I attribute this to the fact that seal fur carries little air when its wet and has quite a unique sheen to it.
    RickB likes this.
    rick baerg

rick baerg Administrator Staff Member

Well like I always say, the one rule is, there are no rules!! You could use a feathers from a seagul, if it catches fish, its a good fly! ;)

I too like seal fur dubbing it more buggy, looks more life like and yes like you say, "carries little air when its wet and has quite a unique sheen to it"
    LadyWolfe likes this.
    Kerry Pitt

Kerry Pitt Active Member

And that is why we tie our own. Variations you cannot find commercially are often more effective in some instances. Nice fly by the way, I have had luck with a 1/2 black and 1/2 red body as well as a purple floss body.
    RickB likes this.
    jollyrogers

jollyrogers Member

The guinea looks good....and grizz hackle would be similar. I think the contrast ( dark/white) makes this Spratley variation stand out more than the pheasant tail -tails....
    will have to add this to my box of D.Spratleys......and mix the body colours as per Kerry Pitt suggests.....thanks !
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

One of the first flies that I had learned how to tie.....Still one of my favorites to fish. Nice tie!:)
    RickB likes this.
    backcountry

backcountry Member

A very time tested pattern everyone should have one in their box
    Byron Thiel

Byron Thiel Well-Known Member

Nice to see the old standard patterns being tweaked-nothing wrong with that at all!