Fly Pattern Recipe Cutthroat Minnow

Discussion in 'Minnows' started by rick baerg, Feb 26, 2009.

rick baerg

rick baerg Administrator Staff Member

Cutthroat Minnow

streamer-cuttie-minnow.jpg

Hook: TMC 5263 size 10
    Thread: Black Uni 8/0
    Body: Silver crystal chenille medium
    Underwing: Grey Angel Hair
    Overwing: Olive mallard flank
    Head: painted on eyes black over yellow
    Pat AV

Pat AV New Member

Re: Cutthroat Minnow

Nice looking chum fry :)!

I tie a similar version but use bead chain eyes and red thread for the head (gills)

This worked really well for me last year and is super easy to tie.
    Centerpin

Centerpin New Member

Hey Rick

What do you use for the eye paint? Looks like the paint would be more durable than the stick on eyes.

Centerpin
    rick baerg

rick baerg Administrator Staff Member

[quote author=Centerpin link=topic=17.msg121#msg121 date=1236744744]
    Hey Rick

What do you use for the eye paint? Looks like the paint would be more durable than the stick on eyes.

Centerpin
    [/quote]

Hey Brad just your typical model paint! After I paint the eyes on, it gets a coat of hard as hull and then its tough as nails!! Normally on this pattern I would use white thread, and color the top of the head with a Olive Prizma Marker before I coat the head! I will try and post a new picture A.S.A.P.
    Islander

Islander New Member

Hey thanks for the pattern. I tied it up last night on a size 8, did some with mallard flank and some with marabou. Went out today and hooked 3 beautiful Cutties! Here’s the fly I tied,
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg465/whodeanee/pinkfry.jpg[/img]
    and below is the only one I landed. Here is a picture of it still in its natural habitat, just before I let it go again.
    [img width=480 height=640]http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg465/whodeanee/IMGP0578.jpg[/img]
    geoffvl

geoffvl New Member

Are most minnows tied on size 8 and 10's? I've been tying many of mine on 12's but maybe that's too small.
    Islander

Islander New Member

I'd try and match the hatch, tie them up in various sizes and when you get out there find the fry and see which fly comes closest. Today the little fellas I saw swiming around in the slow pools were even a little bit bigger than my size 8.
    When the fry first hatch though, they're super small.