Fly Pattern Recipe Black Bird-by: Bruce ..aka..Rooster

Discussion in 'Nymph's' started by Rooster, Mar 7, 2012.

Rooster

Rooster Active Member

This is a variation of one of Cal Bird's patterns! The rainbows seem to like it!

Hook: TMC 200R # 6,8,10,12
    Tail: goose biots
    Thread: uni 6/0
    body:Seal or seal substitute
    Rib: black ultra wire
    Wing/legs: partridge
    weight: I usually add a few wraps of lead wire to help build up the thorax area and the bead is optional!

[​IMG]
    T.K, RickB, Kim and 2 others like this.
    Kim

Kim Active Member

Very buggy! I likes it!
    berry

berry Active Member

Nice fly Rooster.

That will sure catch some fish.
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

Thanks Kim & Berry, it has bailed me out on more than one tough outting!

Hey Kim, did you happen to wrap and bunny fur?
    ArticWolf

ArticWolf Well-Known Member

like the "red phase" of grouse you used..have you tried it with the gray phase or summer ptarmigan grouse?
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

A couple of friends got away with my last summer ptarm. skins....I will have to stock up this summer! The only other feathers I have used on this pattern is a starling, for an all black tie and a hun......which is an all gray! My spruce hen material is a nice dark shade of gray.....I will have to give it a try!
    Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member

Very nice Rooster, I like that one.
    ArticWolf

so you can get me a Male spruce in full mating colour...tell you what..you don't have Magpies up there do you...would you like a skin of one....

black-billed-magpie-28791.jpg
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

Woofie, I will put a collection of grouse together for you! The ruffed grouse is the harder bird to get up here! But I try to get down to N.E. Oregon once a year for a good grouse hunt!

Ya we have them noisy magpies.....but I have never used them for tying! I have been using sparlings alot as of late! Crazy to think of how many thousands of them we used to shoot in the vineyards every fall growing up!
    Kim

Kim Active Member

Not yet, Rooster. I did tie one up "hook up", though. I've been busy with other things... will wrap some bunny fur soon, though.
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

Kim, it sounds like you need to get your priorities in order! Ha ha ha:D I look forward to seeing your creations!
    CanonG

CanonG Active Member

Davy McPhail does a Magpie and Silver if you like a traditional wet fly
    Herl from the tail can be substituted for peacock herl for smaller size flies.
    Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member

It is a handsome bird
    CanonG

CanonG Active Member

If they were rare, you'd travel a long way to see such a handsome bird. Because they are common and predate on songbird nests, we blast them out of the sky.
    ArticWolf

yo Bruce...no need on the Ruffled grouse..quite common where I'm at and have a few skins already..but spruce/ptarmigan..now you are talken...if you tie "spiders" up for steelies...use the breast feathers of the magpie..I use them done the scale of hooks for my spiders...nice action and strong enough..
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

I will give them a try! I am always looing for new tying material, especially when it is right in my backyard!

I will work on those grouse for you! Work has been getting in the way of my fun here as of late!
    T.K

T.K Well-Known Member

That is a cracking tie Rooster......will defo be trying a few of them, thanks for sharing Tony...:)
    Rooster

Rooster Active Member

Thanks Tony......Let me know how it works for ya!:)